It Takes a Village
There is a saying that it takes a village to raise a child. The same can be said when managing the specialty of Pediatric Dentistry. Our village consists of several organizations dedicated to strengthening the specialty of pediatric dentistry.
Below is a list of these organizations and their roles:
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD)
- To advance optimal oral health for all children by delivering outstanding service that meets and exceeds the needs and expectations of our members, partners and stakeholders.
- American Board of Pediatric Dentistry (ABPD)
- To certify pediatric dentists through a voluntary examination process that continuously validates their knowledge, skills and experience for delivering quality patient outcomes.
- College of Diplomates (COD) of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry
- To represent Board Certified Pediatric Dentists in their on-going and life-long pursuit of “supporting board-certified pediatric dentists’ lifelong commitment to excellence and optimal oral health care for children".
- AAPD Foundation
- AAPD Foundation supports community-based initiatives providing Dental Homes to children from families who cannot afford dental care. AAPD Foundation is the nation’s largest pediatric dentist-led foundation dedicated to child oral health.
- Foundation of the COD of the ABPD
- To encourage pediatric dentists to complete and continue board certification in the specialty, reward excellence in the certification examinations, promote lifelong learning in pediatric dentistry and to support the College of Diplomates.
While there is strength in numbers, sometimes those numbers can be confusing. For instance, did you know that while AAPD, ABPD and the COD are affiliated, we are not the same organization? No need to shut the front door, to alleviate any confusion ABPD has broken down the primary organizations of pediatric dentistry and their purpose.
Still confused? Contact ABPD Headquarters at email@example.com with questions.« back to listing