Renewal of Certification Exam
Renewal of Certification Examination Overview
Evidence of cognitive expertise based on performance on an examination is a requirement of Time-limited Diplomates in the Renewal of Certification Process (ROC-P) and is satisfied by the completion of the Renewal of Certification Examination.
Part 3 on your "My Portfolio" page provides information on your examination status and deadline to complete the examination. Once the ROC examination is successfully completed, the ‘Status’ line in Part 3 will be automatically recorded as ‘Complete’, the date of completion recorded, as well as the date for the next examination
The examination is an "open book" 50-item, multiple choice, web-based examination completed during the ninth year of your ten (10) year cycle. The examination can be accessed multiple times, but must be completed within a 48-hour period.
The Renewal of Certification examination is based on contemporary general knowledge topics in pediatric dentistry. All possible answers may be plausible but only one response is the MOST correct.
- Prevention/Anticipatory Guidance
- Restorative and Prosthetics,
- Pulp Therapy
- Trauma/Child Abuse
- Oral Surgery/ Periodontology
- Developing Dentition and Occlusion
- Craniofacial Growth
- Child Development/Assessment
- Oral Pathology/Oral Medicine
- Special Care Patients/Oral
- Special Care Patients/Medical
- Craniofacial Syndromes
- Non-Pharmocologic Behavior Guidance
- Pharmocologic Behavior Guidance
- Pharmacology/Pain Management
- Management of Medical Emergencies
- Risk Management/ Infection Control/Ethics
Results (pass or fail) are available immediately. References will be given for missed items.
Successful completion of the examination is based on 80% correct answers. If unsuccessful, the Diplomate must contact Headquarters. The examination may be taken as often as needed, but must be successfully completed prior to the ten-year deadline.
The exam link will appear on your ROC-P dashboard 2 years prior to your deadline.
If not completed during the 48 hours the Diplomate will be required to contact Headquarters to have their examination restarted.
Diplomates may use any study materials necessary in order to complete the examination, but they may not consult with any individuals concerning the examination. Upon successful completion of the examination, the Diplomate is awarded 10 Continuing Education Hours that will be recorded in your transcript.
Because the examination is a requirement for ROC-P, failure to successfully complete the examination by the date of expiration on the time-limited certificate will affect your participation in ROC-P and certification.
Below is a list of references used for the examination. All content is taken from the references current edition.
- AAPD Reference Manual, http://www.aapd.org/media/policies_guidelines
- AAPD The Handbook of Pediatric Dentistry. Ed. Nowak, Casamassimo
- Contemporary Orthodontics. Proffit, Fields, Sarver
- Dentistry for the Child and Adolescent. Dean, Avery, MacDonald
- Pediatric Dentistry Infancy Through Adolescence. Casamassimo, Fields, McTique, Nowak
- Pediatrics Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics
- National Center for Biotechnology Information, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Pediatric Dentistry and Journal of Dentistry for Children, AAPD
- Handbook of Pediatric Dentistry. Cameron, Widmer
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. Kliegman, Stanton, St. Geme, Schor, Behrman