ABPD Board of Directors
The role of a Director is to serve as an advocate for board certification and support the core values of ABPD by being knowledgeable about and supporting the vision, mission, and strategic plan of ABPD and by advancing the oral health of children and the specialty of pediatric dentistrry for the pediatric dental professionals and their patients.
The Board of Directors is comprised of six (6) Directors and is a six-year commitment.
Eligible candidates for Director of the ABPD must meet the following minimal qualifications at the time of application:
- Be a Diplomate in good standing with the ABPD
- Be an active member of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD)
- Must be at least five (5) years since Board certification
- Must be actively involved in direct patient care or clinical teaching of pediatric dentistry on a weekly basis
- Have a record of leadership in pediatric dentistry as evidenced by one (1) or more of the following:
- Two (2) years of service to the ABPD as an examiner, consultant, and/or member of the Examination Committee or Advisory Council
- One (1) year of service as part leader of an ABPD Examination Subcommittee
- Two (2) years of service as chair of an AAPD council, committee, or task force
- Term as Trustee of the AAPD (Note: AAPD trustees and officers are ineligible to serve concurrently as a director of the ABPD)
- Participation in the Academy's Kellogg Leadership Insitute
- Two (2) years of service as program director or department chair of an ADA-accredited specialty training program in pediatric dentistry
- Other significant administrative contributions to pediatric dentistry (by report)
Application Process to become an ABPD Director
Online application and emailed reference forms are to be submitted by the due date of August 15, 2021. The application materials will be collated for review by ABPD's Nominations Committee and select candidates will be interviewed via video conference on Wednesday, October 20, 2021. ABPD's Nominations Committee will provide recommendations to the ABPD Board of Directors for its consideration during the October 2021 meeting.
Following the October meeting, the ABPD Board of Directors will provide their final nominations to their sponsoring organization, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry's (AAPD), Nominations Committee. AAPD's Nominations Committee will conduct a final round of interviews with each nominee and a candidate will be presented to the AAPD Board of Directors for final approval. All nominees must agree to participate in the interviewing process. The candidate will be presented to AAPD's Membership by the March or May issue of Pediatric Dentistry Today and voted on by the membership at the Annual General Assembly in May 2022.
APPLICATION & SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION
ABPD Board of Director Application and Supporting Documentation Information
Director applications for the 2022 - 2028 cycle will open in June of 2021. When the application is open, you will be able to apply by utilizing the application section of the dashboard in your ABPD online profile. From there, click on the link for Board of Directors Application. The application, an essay summarizing leadership skills and interest to serve, a photo and background description or biography suitable for Publishing in Pediatric Dentistry Today, and an abbreviated CV (e.g. CV without presentations or publications; two-page limit), and three (3) letters of recommendation (see below) needs to be submitted by August 15, 2021.
Letters of recommendation must be written by an active or life AAPD Member and are further subject to the following condition: one (1) letter must be from a past director of the ABPD or a past or current member of the Academy's elected leadership (i.e. trustees and elected officers). Current ABPD Directors cannot provide letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation need to be submitted to Christine Sharp via email, email@example.com, by August 15, 2021.
An application and supporting documentation has a shelf life of five years. If reapplying, please contact Christine Sharp via email, firstname.lastname@example.org, to update your application on file.