OCE Study Tips & Examination BlueprintExplore
Oral Clinical Examination Preparation
Candidate Mock OCE Video
The mock video below represents a candidate that scores a 4, which demonstrates full and in-depth understanding of the case examined.
Suggested Resources and References
- Know the Oral Health Policies and Clinical Guidelines in the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) Handbook
- Read the Handbook of Pediatric Dentistry, AAPD, 2011
- Attend the AAPD Comprehensive Review Course or take the DVD version
- Attend the AAPD OCE Preparation Course
- Review recent studies, clinical reports and articles
- Review textbooks
- OCE Sample Vignettes
Tips for preparing for the OCE:
- Be systematic. Set aside time for study and reflection on a regular basis.
- Realize that you will be expected to have knowledge about all eight topics. If there is an area you are less familiar with, spend more time on that area.
- Talk with your colleagues regarding how they prepared.
- Develop study teams or use a mentor or study partner to practice.
- Use flashcards.
Tips for taking the OCE:
- Use a systematic approach for each vignette.
- Try to think of this as several new patients who you are evaluating for the first time in your practice.
- Be confident, just as you would be when having discussions with parents or other medical professionals.
- Remember: if you do not say it, it didn’t happen.